Mother May I…just get through this month!
Those of you who are as old as I am probably played the game Mother May I at least once in your life. The basic gist of the game (for you hot young mamas) is that two teams stand in separate lines and ask for permission to do a certain action…i.e. Mother may I take 4 steps forward?
The “mother ” on the opposing team can grant or deny this request and/or add a modification to the request to suite her liking. Any player who forgets to ask for “Mother’s permission” before taking action has to go back to the starting line.
The irony of this post is that it is officially May (ugh) and as a mother I really want to ask for permission to take 10 steps back, fall into bed,pull the covers over my head and wake up on July 1st!
If you are a mom-you know MAY!! It is that short month squashed between April and June that is chocked full of field trips, award ceremonies, bug spray, field days, and mom “daze.”
May is the reason they invented blood pressure medicine, Xanax and booze.
May means more than a calendar that is over sharpied. It’s an ending….
And endings are hard for me.
Endings make me feel nostalgic..
So this May, “Mother May I” remember to…
- Allow my kids to know what it feels like to be “bored”
- Savor every last drop of that melting popsicle
- Kiss the red kool-aid mustache on my son’s face
- Build a sandcastle or bury my body and my worries in the sand
- Kitchen dance in bare feet to Brown Eyed Girl
- Soak in the sun on my skin
- Sloooooowwwww down & sleep LATE
- Breath deeply…and just BE. .
- Mother May I be mindful that there are only so many summers left before my babies are out on their own!